Summer Brewing Short Course
The Appalachian State University Brewing Short Course will be offered July 26 - 30th, 2021 and it is intended for those working within the Brewing Industry and the Advanced Home Brewer; specifically, those considering starting a business or intent on increasing their proficiency and understanding of Fundamental Brewing Principles and Technologies.
Course material is intended to provide the participant with information relevant to testing modules offered by the Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD) while providing thorough discussions around standard brewery operations. Participants will spend each morning in classroom discussions followed by an introduction to production-level sensory analysis. Afternoons will include hands-on coverage of laboratory skills and analysis, additional classroom discussions, and finishing the day with sensory sessions based on both major and obscure beer styles from around the world.
The total cost of the Appalachian State Brewing Short Course is $2000.
- A $500 refundable deposit will be required to hold your seat in the course. You are eligible to receive a refund until Monday, May 31st.
- By this date, we will have determined if we can safely hold this course due to the current COVID-19 numbers and regulations at the time. If we determine it can not be held you will be refunded your deposit.
- Update: At this time have determined that the Brewing Short Course will be held. Masks will be required for individuals who have not been vaccinated.
- The remaining $1500 will be due by Thursday, July 23rd, and will be available to be paid after a formal decision has been made by May 31st.
- The last day to make a full payment will be Thursday, July 23rd (depending on the availability of seats)
There will be hands-on brewing activities focused on recipe development and process control and monitoring. Laboratory sessions are hands-on and intended to provide training as well as an introduction to equipment and basic laboratory setup for a small- to medium-sized brewery. Participants may take away wort if they desire. (Bring your own carboy and airlock or buy these on-site).
Lunch is provided daily & all course material will be made available in digital format for attendees.
A reduced-rate hotel block will be reserved for Brewing Short Course participants, more details below.
Thank you for your interest!
Register and Submit Payment for Course
- Raw ingredients: water, grains, hops, and adjuncts (chemistry, biology, and biochemistry)
- In-Process Technology
- Yeast and Bacteria: Handling, propagation, inoculation and spoilage
- Cleaning and Sanitation
- Fining and Filtration Basics
- Equipment Considerations and Selection
- Aging and Storage (tanks, kegs, and cooperage)
- Finishing and Packaging
- Recipe Development and Market Trends
- Regulations and Requirements (Federal/State)
- Sensory Analysis: Basics for QA/QC and in-house sensory programs
- Fault identification, thresholds, sources, avoidance, and correction strategies.
- BJCP Styles overview and tastings
- Raw ingredients (grains, hops, water)
- identification and enumeration of fermentative microbes (yeast and bacteria)
- in-process analyses
- alcohol measurements
- dissolved gases
- hop acids and BUs
- color and clarity
- laboratory setup
- QA/QC programs
Lodging and Transportation
Short Course Location:
Appalachian Panhellenic Hall
949 Blowing Rock Road
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
A reduced-rate hotel block will be reserved for Brewing Short Course participants, through the Courtyard Marriott.
You will find the information for your online reservation link below. If you have questions or need help with the link, please reach out to Courtyard Marriott at 828-265-7676.
Brewing Short Course
Start Date: 2021 Jul 25, Sun
End Date: 2021 Jul 30, Fri
Last Day to Book Hotel: 2021 Jun 25, Fri
Last Day to Book Class: 2021 July 23, Thur (Depending on availability of seats)
Hotel(s) offering your special group rate: Courtyard Boone for 169 USD per night
- Charlotte-Douglas International Airport
(2 hour drive-time to Boone)
5501 Josh Birmingham Parkway
Charlotte, NC 28208
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport
(3 hour drive-time to Boone)
2400 John Brantley Blvd
Morrisville, NC 27560
- Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)
(1 hour 45 min drive time to Boone)
1000 A Ted Johnson Parkway
Greensboro, NC 27409
- Tri-Cities Regional Airport, TN/VA
1.5 hour drive time to Boone
2525 Tennessee 75, Blountville, TN
To-Boone Driving Times:
- From Chapel Hill, NC: 2.5 hours
- From Raleigh, NC: 3.0 hours
- From Chattanooga, TN: 4.5 hours
- From Richmond, VA: 4.45 hours
- From Atlanta, GA: 4.45 hours
- From Washington, DC: 6.25 hours
- From Louisville, KY: 6.25 hours